Mary Dunnewold brings extensive practical experience in higher education to her work as a campus investigator, advisor, and trainer. As a campus investigator, she has conducted complex Title IX and bias investigations involving students, staff, and faculty. As a Title IX deputy, she has counseled Title IX offices in managing processes, drafted campus policy and procedures, and conducted trainings for all members of the campus community. Her work is grounded in over twenty years of experience as a law school teacher and administrator.
As a Ballast investigator, Mary conducts a full range of Title IX investigations, including those involving multiple parties and complex issues. Mary has conducted hundreds of interviews with parties and witnesses in complaints involving students, staff, and faculty. Mary has deep experience in all types of campus investigation work, including campus-wide bias and discrimination investigations.
With extensive knowledge of the Title IX landscape, Mary is a trusted advisor to campus administrators throughout the complaint process. She also drafts Title IX and related campus policies and procedures and conducts external reviews to ensure thoroughness and compliance with current laws and regulations.
Mary conducts training for Title IX coordinators, Title IX hearing boards, and other campus constituencies.
Education, Certifications & Memberships
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D. (cum laude)
- University of Minnesota, M.A.
- St. Olaf College, B.A.
- Owner, Mary Dunnewold LLC
- Title IX Deputy for Faculty and Staff and Campus Investigator, Carleton College
- Associate Professor of Legal Research and Writing and Associate Dean, Hamline University School of Law
In her ten years of investigation practice, Mary has attended numerous investigator and Title IX Coordinator trainings, including trainings sponsored by:
- T9 Mastered
- Stafford and Associates
- United Educators
- SUNY Student Conduct Institute
Recently completed training
- T9 Mastered: Proposed Title IX Regulations 2022
- T9 Mastered: Investigator Training
- Consent: Gathering the Essential Facts
- Title IX Hearing Officer/Panel Training
- Title IX/VAWA Investigator Training
- Title IX Update: Final Regulations
- OHE Title IX Training
- Title IX/VAWA Appeals Training
- Board Member, Northfield Union of Youth
- Board Member, Northfield TORCH
- Fundraising Committee, WINGS