Carl Crosby Lehmann
Carl is an experienced advisor to higher education institutions, having worked extensively with colleges and universities across the country for nearly 30 years. For the past seven years, Carl has served as the General Counsel to St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota. His practice involves all aspects of higher education legal services, including complex transactional, regulatory, and litigation matters.
Carl’s work with colleges and universities has included a wide variety of transactional and litigation matters running the gamut of issues affecting higher education. This includes student disciplinary actions, institutional accreditation issues, faculty tenure and promotion decisions, faculty handbook development, Title IV compliance, student privacy (FERPA), sexual misconduct and other gender equity issues under Title IX, disability accommodations, Clery Act compliance, and enforcement of diversity, equity and inclusion policies. Carl regularly provides training, compliance reviews and investigation services to higher education clients on interpersonal violence and other misconduct matters.
Carl has represented both non-profit and for-profit employers in matters impacting all areas of the employment relationship including discrimination, sexual harassment, violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act, breach of contract, and wage and hour issues, among others.
Carl is a seasoned litigator who represents clients in state and federal court, before administrative bodies, and in arbitrations.
His work has included:
- Obtaining summary judgment for a private college sued by a former professor claiming wrongful termination and loss of tenure.
- Securing a jury trial victory in Americans with Disabilities Act action against medical practice by physician.
- Obtaining summary judgment for a university in Title IV lawsuit by former students alleging fraud and other improper conduct relating to recruiting and compensation practices.
Education, Certifications & Memberships
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Law School – J.D.
- Cum Laude
- St. Olaf College – B.A.
- Phi Beta Kappa
- St. Olaf College – Vice President & General Counsel (current)
- Gray Plant Mooty – Principal Attorney
- Employment & Higher Education Practice Group Chair
- Assistant General Counsel
- trainED – Co-Founder
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Rice County Bar Association
- Minnesota Management Attorneys Association (MMAA)
- Labor and Employment Law Specialist, certified by the Minnesota State Bar Association (lapsed in 2016 when became St. Olaf General Counsel)
- Qualified as a mediator under Rule 114
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2016
- “Minnesota Super Lawyer®,” Thomson/Reuters, 2011-2016
- “Attorney of the Year,” Minnesota Lawyer, 2014-2015
- “North Star Lawyers,” Minnesota State Bar Association, 2014-2015
- “Rising Star,” Minnesota Law & Politics, 2006-2008 Bar Admissions